Well the world didn't end so another year of gaming lies ahead. I have a list of things I would like to accomplish in 2013 like most other people. I hate the term "resolutions" as I like to work toward something so I use the word "goal" instead.
My goals and plans for 2013 are:
1. Get in better shape. This isn't really a gaming goal but it does affect gaming. I always eat snacks while gaming and I need to ease up. I lost a lot of weight in 2012 and I want to keep going. It is always harder to work out the next morning after eating (over eating) snacks during a game night. I am always tempted to skip the work out and pick up the paint brush. I do have more energy for gaming since I started working out so it is a Win/Win.
2. Finish up my 25/28mm 1812 Russians. I still need artillery, cavalry and a few more infantry units. I ordered the Perry Russian high command pack from the Warstore last night. This is a difficult goal as I am really tired of painting Russians. if I move on to something else I will never finish the forces I need. There is only one problem, when do you really ever finish a range? Completing a range has never been truly defined by anyone.
3. Terrain Boards. I would like to complete some terrain boards for 25mm gaming. I do get tired of the old cloth. I would like to try Gesso on insulation boards to see what I can do. The boards would be for 25mm Napoleonic gaming in Russia but wil lproably have multiple uses. The problem would be storage, but I need to work that out with the wife. I am moving her sewing room up to the duaghte's old bedroom.
4. Buy some support figures for the 25/28mm Napoleonics I want to fill the battlefield with things other than combat troops. Ammo wagons, civilians, field forge. mule train or apothecary wagon from Perry would be good. It is pricey but it really rounds out a collection. I would like to purchase a little each month from the Warstore.
5. Collect 25mm Old Glory Napoleonic Bavarians. I would like to play the 1st battle of Polotsk. Bavarians and supporting French taking on the Russians. it just appeals to me, I don't know why.
6. Start collecting 10mm Seven years war figures. I have the OOB for
Leuthen and Lobositz. I would like to start the collection after i get my Napoleonic collection in order. Preferably after the Bavarians are done.
Obstacles - Of course there are obstacles to my goals. I just need to figure out how to overcome them.
The first is the financial obstacle as 25's and 28's are more expensive than other ranges, even with an OG discount. How do you over come this...legally? If I buy a little each month it won't be so bad. Besides it keeps the back log down.
The second is that I am like any other gamer/collector; I have trouble staying on task. I am easily distracted by new figure ranges that look really nice. My son just notified me that he bought some 15mm scifi figures from Rebel, so the distraction has already begun. I don't know how to overcome this obstacle as it is a hazard that come with the hobby.
The third is the lack of time. I have little time to paint or play as life has a way of getting in the way. The summer is the worst of all as yard work and chores steal hobby time.How do you overcome something like this? I plan to let the house fall apart this year.
Well there it is, it will be interesting to look back from December to see what i actually accomplish. What are your 2013 goals?